The following are the thematic areas of focus:
- Crop Sciences (including plant breeding, plant genetics and genomics, plant health, crop production)
- Livestock Sciences (including animal breeding, genetic improvement of livestock, livestock production, animal nutrition, livestock health and veterinary medicine)
- Agro-Ecological Systems in Zambia and Mozambique including Socio-Economic aspects
The Information for Researchers (Call for Proposals No. 88, 21st December 2017) as well as the Joint Project Description Template for submission of proposals can be downloaded from the following links:
- Information for Researchers (Call for Proposals No. 88) [Click to Download]
- Joint Project Description Template [Click to Download]
- SRF Guidelines [Click to Download]
Strategic Research Fund (SRF)
The Government of the Republic of Zambia through the Ministry of Higher Education created the Strategic Research Fund (SRF). The Fund is administered through a Fund Management Committee at the Ministry of Higher Education and implemented by the National Science and Technology Council (NSTC). The Fund support basic and applied research prescribed under national priority areas. The SRF mainly targets public and private Research and Development (R&D) Centres and Institutions, in order to streamline research and development and to effectively rationalize research resources.
Objective of SRF – The Fund aims to support research and development projects in specific research areas which can generate new knowledge in basic and applied sciences, and develop products or processes necessary for further development and commercialisation. It is also aimed at enhancing research capabilities and expertise within Zambia.
Research Areas – The research activities supported under the SRF are those focused towards meeting the industrial needs in new and emerging fields of science, engineering and technology in the context of national interest. The SRF supports research in the following areas:
Industry; e.g. Alternative Energy; Materials sciences; Manufacturing
Agriculture; e.g. Post harvest processing; plant and animal disease; crops and animal productivity etc.
Health; e.g. HIV/AIDS; Malaria; Tuberculosis etc.
Environment; e.g. Water and sanitation; Waste to wealth; Drought and desertification etc.
ICT; e.g software development biometics cybersecurity
Eligibility – The following are eligible to apply:
The following are eligible to apply:
- Public and Private Science and Technology Research and Development (R&D) Centres/Institutions and Institutions of Higher Learning (IHL) that are registered with NSTC.
- Zambian graduate students studying or conducting research at institutions registered with NSTC.
- Individual Zambian researchers who are not in any institution shall be required to be affiliated to a registered R&D or learning institution.
(i) The research proposals should be practical and focused towards problem solving in the identified priority research areas.
(ii) Proposals that demonstrate a strong multidisciplinary and collaborative approach among researchers and institutions in Zambia are most preferred.
How to apply -The Strategic Research Fund is available to Zambian researchers who meet the requirements once a year on a competitive basis. Applicants are expected to submit a completed application form to NSTC within the call period for a particular year. Download the SRF guidelines